4.12.11

Healthy alternatives for the Holidays!










Some people can't have all the delicious goodies at the dessert table around the holidays. Its important to find ways to include the people that have food allergies in on the fun. In our family, there are a few people with a wheat allergy. Here is a delicious alternative to a holiday loaf that I got from a great book on low starch. You definitely need to go to a health food store to get the ingredients, but the consensus in our household is that it's worth it. For those with an allergy to nuts, this won't work. 










Here are the ingredients you are going to need.


2 cups blanched almond flour 
1/4 cup coconut flour 
1/2 tsp xanthan gum 
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt 
1/4 cup light oil 
1 1/2 tablespoon honey or agave syrup 
1/2 cup buttermilk 
3 eggs 
2 egg whites, beaten to soft peaks 





lets get started! 





Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, combine almond 
flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. 
Mix the oil, honey, buttermilk and eggs together before adding them to 
the dry ingredients. Mix to combine. Gently fold in the egg whites. 
Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50 
minutes to one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean when 
inserted in the center and the loaf feels relatively firm to the touch. 







                           






When I took the loaf out of the oven, I wished that I had done a better job greasing the pan. It ended up working out okay though. I usually serve this loaf sliced and toasted with butter, or earth balance spread and agave nectar on top. However, my favorite way to eat it, is shown above. I spread a thin layer of greek yogurt on top and add my choice of berry. To finish it off, I drizzle honey or agave nectar to sweeten.
It's so good, that you won't miss the junk food one bit! Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    Being a new blogger, I would like to tell you that you have given me much knowledge about it. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete