24.4.17

Sandy.



Hello friends! Long time no talk. It's been a chaotic and eventful year for me. I have two new babies and an album coming out. Dan (my husband) is also about to launch another massive album cycle. Let the touring begin.... We have a lot going on. Through all the madness,  I thought I would take a moment to write about my new record "Sandy".

For years I have dreamt of writing an album that I could perform myself. I do have limited guitar skills, but I am also kind of a traditionalist in my songwriting. I love keeping things simple. I enjoy writing all kinds of music. Electronic, folk, country, rock... I hate limitations. This record is personal because I hardly ever write love songs. Nearly all of the songs on this album are love songs. One of the tracks, "Cracked" was written years ago when I met my husband Dan. It's probably one of the more vulnerable songs on the record.

My first single and the first track on the record is called "My Man".  I love the throwback style of the track. Joshua James (Producer) really tapped into the part of me that loves older music. My influences for this record range from Cat Stevens to Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline. The reason why the album is called "Sandy" is because I felt as though I was channeling Sandy from Grease at times and it started to become more fun for me to play with that character. I don't want to say too much about the record before you have had a chance to sit with it. I look forward to hearing your thoughts... Unless of course you don't like it. Then I will have to find you and throw you off of a bridge into rapid moving waters where you will hopefully be eaten by man eating fish and grizzly bears. 


12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for this Album. I'm pumped to hear new music from you. Before, I've been through some hard times and your band at the time helped me out, and I'm greatful for that. If you need help with throwing people into the rapid waters hit me up. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Absolutely can't wait to listen to this album!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything I've heard so far and can't wait for the full album! Your humility and authenticity shine through every time you speak of these songs. The "love song" aspect definitely shows a different side than your NV writing, which I loved for it's message of strength. As a big ID fan from early on, & then discovering you and NV through that, I've always been so affected by the realness of self that you and Dan put out. It is clear that family, charity, and good come before any form of stardom. This is so refreshing in this day and age!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait. It's bound to be beautiful and moving... just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I'm so happy for you and that you completed that solo album. I am sure it means a lot to you and I am really excited to listen to it!

    I wish you the very best to you and your family my dear Aja!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comments are all so heartfelt and touching. Thank you. X Aja

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just went looking for it on iTunes (thinking it was out) and am now stuck in a family dance party with Desert Nights. Looking forward to the new tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first listen I had some disdain until I put aside my personal longing and prejudice for more NV and gave it the chance it deserves. You in your own right are a wonderful storyteller and in much the way J Cash could turn simple life into flowing musical poetry, I think you have accomplished that. I loved going on this personal journey of your songwriting and have come full circle with my admiration for your past collaborations and future path. You have graciously shared your life, love and soul through your music and self and that has been helpful to not only me, but I'm sure others. Much love and best wishes and yes, love the album!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from Brazil. I know you because I love Imagine Dragons so Dan's wife couldn't be so lovely as you are. As you are a beautiful couple with amazing kids, the songs of Aja Volkman is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing it has been an interesting journey watching your music style and collaborations evolve from the sunset music festival to now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a friend of your mother, I've heard about you but am glad to know your more through your music. Heard the song samples and all sound lovely. I so enjoy your eclectic style. Very personal and I can identify with that. I'm not one to label or box myself in either. Love a woman who follows her heart and dismisses creative boundaries. I love that about your mother too. I look forward to hearing the full album. Congrats on the sweet new babies too! You have an ambitious family. Wishing you all the best. With love, Mija

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waw .. I sort of discovered you're music lately and I am becoming a big fan. I am basically a songs fan rather than a singer (solo or band) fan. But with you, things are a bit different, you've conquered me and I am ready to follow .. hehe .. Congrats on your new release and continue kicking asses with that rough amazing voice.

    ReplyDelete