12.10.11

My paintings. Another case of something out of nothing.

This is a large painting about 4' x 5'. It was done with acrylic and house paint.

This is done with construction paper, house paint, and sharpies.

This is done with oil paint, very old construction paper, and sharpies.

This is done with sharpies, and house paint.


Like every artist across the globe, I am my own worst critic. I am such a critic of my own work, that it becomes hard for me to show it to anybody. As a small child I used to crumple pages of drawings up and throw them in the trash. I could barely stand to look at the imperfections. I am untrained, and very amateur. That being said... Life is too short! I want to encourage people to put themselves out there, so I have to do the same.  The pictures above are random drawings and paintings I have done. They vary in size. I am always creating on a dime. I use sharpies and house paint most of the time, but occasionally acrylic as well. Another case of making something out of nothing. 

If you don't display your work, it becomes hard to gauge your growth as an artist. It also becomes easy to hide everything all the time. Eventually you might even stop creating. I am constantly in competition with myself as a singer because of the work I have released. I get better because I am constantly raising my own bar. This is why sharing your work is important. 

There are also those of us who never even started creating art. The critic inside of our head was so strong that we never even tried. We just said, "I'm not an artist." That is tragic. Everyone has an artist inside of them. Find the outlet that is right for you. Who cares about how good or bad you think you are if you enjoy doing it. The freedom to create is a gift we were handed from the moment we came into this world. Don't waste the gift. Share it with the rest of us. 




3 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful and SO TRUE.
    I am loving your blog so far. And Dan Reynolds is one lucky guy to have such a creative lady as his wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are really great Aja. I esp LOVE the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aja !
    I'm finally posting this comment because I was too shy to do it before I guess, and I must say after I read your entire blog, this post is one of my favorite. I believe art is something really important in our lifes, and I won't say I'm an artist myself but I LOVE art, I NEED art in my life. That is why I first read your blog, because I love your music so much ! This sentence in one of you last posts got my attention though : "Thats what teenagers do right? Magnify mini dramas." Haha I am a teenager indeed (that was obvious, right ?) and I am lost. I don't know if it's because of the "dramas" or anything but I still am. And every time I got lost you helped me find my way. So I just wanna thank you for being such an inspirational and amazing person, and I wish with all my heart that you will have a life full of joy and happiness.
    Laetitia

    PS : I really tried not a be a hysterical teenage girl, I hope you can see that I'm sincere. I would be so pleased if my comment made you feel happy in any way. Bye :)

    ReplyDelete